Saturday, November 6, 2010

A Personal Response to the BOS readings this week

I already have two posts in for the week, but I wanted to at least respond to the BOS reading this week, and since I DO have my required blogs done, I'm allowing myself a "personal" response post about the reading and the issue of Homosexuality that was covered. Rather than simply respond to others' posts on the topic, which I wouldn't want to be in any way perceived as a personal attack, I've opted for the 3rd post.

Most weeks, this week included, the BOS readings are a struggle to get into. I think this is because often we are not actually reading the subjects of the critical approach essays, but this week, even though still a struggle, I very much appreciated the subject of homosexuality being covered, even if only briefly. I won't attempt to hide what side of the issue I am on. If the recent elections and controversial articles and responses in the Advance Titan having to do with the LBTGQ community the past few weeks have taught me anything it is this: at least a portion of the class will find reason in this blog to snub their nose at me. But that is okay, because it is an important issue, especially to myself, having been raised by my mother who also happens to be a lesbian. (So, I'm sure you can guess which side of the issue I'm on.) I think it's easier to keep your opinions to yourself when you yourself, aren't a part of the gay community. For me I have no choice. When people want to deny my mother rights because she was BORN INTO a minority group, what are my choices? Sit back and watch or speak up. I find it interesting that people NOW realize how terrible it was that the Jews were denied rights and persecuted for being Jewish, and how NOW people realize that the treatment of Africans as less than human was horrific as well, but with other groups it is still okay. Hitler targeted Gays too after all. No group is safe when large communities of people are considered fair game for discrimination.

My mom is Christian, very much so in fact, and so I could go on and on about my feelings about whether you can be gay and be Christian (or Jewish or Muslim), but I'm tired of it. I'm tired of religion being brought into the issue. I'm tired of religious doctrine determining my mother's eligibility for the rights that the rest of us have. I'm tired of religious arguments for all legislative decisions. I know that complete separation of church and state is a pipe dream and I know that the founders real intention in inclusion of the separation of church and state clause was to ensure that we did not have a "state sponsored" religion that denied acceptance of other religions, and I know all of the arguments about God and money and the pledge of allegiance and on and on and on. But I'm tired. I'm so tired of this country and its pretense of freedom that has so many conditions. You are free and entitled to the rights and privileges afforded to American citizens IF you are a white male land owner, okay...maybe you just need to be a white man. Alright we'll give rights to black men okay maybe even women, but not those HOMOS! I'm not asking anyone to invite my mother into their church or synagogue or mosque with open arms. I'm not asking their church leaders to perform a marriage ceremony for my mother. I'm not asking anyone to renounce homosexuality as a sin, quite frankly I don't care. I am however, asking that my government not exclude her from the rights afforded to the rest of the citizens of this country. I am proud that she was in the army. I'm proud that many members of the gay community have been and continue to be serving in all factions of our military whether they can be honest about who they are or not. And I'm proud that she is my mother, that she once she decided to be herself and allow herself happiness rather than pretend to be someone and something she was not, that she never hid herself from her children. I'm proud that my having been raised by her allowed me the chance to grow up without learning this particular hate. I also love my country, but I cannot stand the fact that we CONTINUE in this day in age to allow an entire population to be discriminated against because some people are uncomfortable with them. It is no different than discrimination against Jews, or Blacks or any other minority group. But since Religion is a topic that cannot be avoided, especially since we are in a class devoted to the topic, I will say this as well. I am tired of religions preaching tolerance and love and then practicing intolerance and hate. I mean, a sin is a sin is it not?

I remember the first time I heard in church that being Gay was a sin...it was the end of my association with Christianity. Now for me, religion is a cultural reality and interesting thing to study and nothing more.

End Rant.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think this is a rant. Thank you for openly sharing your opinions on this often charged issue.

    The pink "S.A.F.E" triangle on my office door is a fairly public explanation of some of my own feelings on this issue that any member of the class can see when they come for office hours, so I will just mention that I believe deeply in equal rights for all and refrain from further editorializing.

    At the same time, as a religious studies professor, I'm aware of a lot of the different religious positions on this issue [which can vary widely from liberal to conservative], and the deep feelings of those involved on all sides. I'm actually developing an upper-level course on this issue, it will probably be offered during the 2012-2013 school year [or spring 2012]. There's an increasingly large amount of good scholarship on LGBTQ issues and religion.

    ReplyDelete